If you enjoy eating sausages (and who doesn’t really!), you will enjoy digging into a Rogail Saucisse. An easy recipe that is perfect for the Instant pot, this French main dish is one that the whole family will love.
The recipe comes from the La Réunion, which is an overseas French department in Indian Ocean near East Africa, Madagascar and Mauritius. The dish is prepared “à la créole” with plenty of spices and tomatoes. (As baffling as it is to anglophones, the dish is sometimes called Rougaille Saucisse, which is the feminine version of sausage rogail.
Whatever it is called, traditionally, the dish is usually served with plain rice. However, you can also add potatoes to this Instant Pot recipe, to make the dish heartier.
The sausages used are usually thick pork sausages, like the Montbéliard, Diots de Savoie, or Saucisse de Toulouse. Nearby Mauritius, which used to be a French territory in the 1700s, has a similar recipe which uses chicken sausages instead, made popular by the Indo-Mauritian population there.
There is also a fish version of the recipe called rogail morue which uses cod instead.
Now, the traditional recipe for rogail saucisse involves cooking the rice separately. With the Instant Pot however, you can just cook everything all together. In addition, I have included the fresh ingredients in the recipe below, but that doesn’t mean we can’t take a few shortcuts. If you are short on time, I recommend using frozen onions that have already been sliced.
You can also use whole peeled tomatoes in a can or a tomato coulis, instead of fresh tomatoes. And if that sausage is frozen? No need to unfreeze it in advance, just toss it into the instant pot with the same timing, along with classic spices from a French pantry. The Instant pot’s warming up process will take it into account and cook it automatically.
Frequently asked questions
What to serve with it?
Sausage Rogail is traditionally served with rice, and you can also add a vegetable like green beans as a side dish.
You can also serve it with red beans or potatoes in the dish, instead of rice, to make it more hearty.
What drinks to serve with it?
Can you freeze it?
Yes, this is one of those recipes that tastes better the next day. You can easily put aside portions in an airtight container and put in the freezer.
- 6 medium smoked sausages or 4 large smoked sausages (eg. Montbéliard or Saucisse de Toulouse)￼
- 4 large tomatoes (or 3 cans of whole-peeled tomatoes)
- 4 medium onions
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 Laurier leaf
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric (saffron)
- (Optional) 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed ginger
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 cups of basmati rice
- 5 cups of water
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- (Optional) 10oz frozen spinach
- Chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Cut the sausages into one-inch chunks. (If the sausages are frozen, put them in as is, and chop them after the Instant pot cooking process finishes.)
- Add the olive oil to the Instant pot and add the chopped onions and crushed garlic and ginger.
- Saute for a couple of minutes till fragrant and then add the chopped sausage.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and close the instant pot.
- Cook on Manual for 4 minutes.
- After the Instant Pot timer ends, quick release the steam.
- Stir the rogail saucisse stew and serve while warm.
You can make this dish as spicy as you wish. Add more cayenne pepper or chili peppers to up the heat factor, if you wish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 645Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 1444mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 24g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for informational purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic French Instant Pot recipes that are easy to prepare. Bon appétit and à bientôt !
Did you enjoy that article? Save it for later!