This Recipe uses:
- Short pie crusts
- Boneless chicken
- White button or cremini (brown) mushrooms
- Heavy cream or crème fraiche
- Liquid chicken stock
- Crushed garlic cloves or garlic powder
- Fresh or dried parsley
- Fresh or dried parsley
- Bay leaf
- All purpose baking flour
If you love a hearty chicken pie, you will love this chicken, mushroom, and leek pie. Known in French as “tourte au poulet et champignons“, it is a savory pie with a hearty filling of protein and veggies.
With a creamy sauce interior, this is definitely a pie you will want to eat with a knife and fork!
And while it may seem intimidating to prepare, it actually just involves throwing all the ingredients for the filling in a stove pot and letting it cook and meld together. Then transfer onto a pie crust and into the oven, and your chicken and mushroom pie will be ready for dinner in no time!
Frequently asked questions
What to serve with it?
What drinks to serve with it?
For drinks, you can pair this chicken and mushroom pie with a white wine from Burgundy like Chablis.
Can you prepare it in advance?
Yes, you can prepare this chicken pot pie in advance and leave it in the fridge. Let it cool, and then place in an airtight glass container.
You can also prepare and keep the filling of the chicken pie separately, and place it in the pie at a later time. Let the pot pie filling naturally warm to room temperature before placing between the pie crusts, and then place it in the oven.
- Cheese country bread (pull apart appetizer)
- Tarte soleil (Sun pie appetizer)
- Alsatian bacon and onion flammekueche
- Mushroom and goat cheese flammekueche
- 2 pie crust bases
- 1 pound of boneless chicken (approx. 2-3 pieces)
- 2 cups of chopped mushrooms
- 1 chopped leek
- 1 egg
- 1 crushed garlic clove (or teaspoon of garlic powder)
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup of water (or chicken stock)
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of crème fraiche
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and chop all the vegetables.
- In a large saucepan or wok which has a lid, add the chicken, mushrooms, leeks, along with the cup of water, garlic, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Put the lid on the saucepan and cook at medium-temperature for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken looks cooked.
- Shred the chicken into small pieces.
- Mix the flour in a bowl with a tablespoon of water so that it creates a roux.
- Add the roux to the saucepan
- Add creme fraiche into the saucepan and mix.
- Remove the bay leaf from the chicken pie filling.
- Let the chicken pie filling rest for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) for 5 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large casserole dish that can go in the oven.
- Roll out the pie base in the casserole dish.
- Gently spoon the chicken pie filling on the bottom layer of the pie dough crust.
- Once all the the chicken filling is in, top with the 2nd pie crust.
- Crimp the edges of the two pie crusts together all the way around with your fingers.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg white and baste the top of the pie lightly with a pastry brush.
- Slice small slits on the top of the chicken pie.
- Place in the oven for 45-50 minutes until the top has risen and is golden brown.
- Serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 525Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 123mgSodium: 402mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 28g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic French recipes that are easy to prepare. Bon appétit and à bientôt !