This Recipe includes
|Thin crust pizza dough|
Spices, herbs and flavoring ingredients:
|Crème fraiche or heavy cream|
|Salt and pepper|
Why we love it
Flammekueche or tarte flambée is one of the most popular dishes in Alsace. From the German flammkuchen, it has multiple names in German, French and Alsatian, because of Alsace’s history going back and forth between France and Germany.
It is essentially a thin-crust pizza with a white sauce, that can dressed up with all sorts of ingredients. The traditional recipe uses bacon lardons and onions, but here we are going for a vegetarian flammkuechen with mushrooms.
In this recipe, you can use any types of mushrooms, white, brown, button, shiitake or cremini, portobello or a mix of all of the above as I have. It really depends on your personal preference.
And there are few things that go quite as well with mushrooms as goat cheese. A grand classic among French cheeses, the best goat cheeses that go well here are Bûche de chèvre or Crottin de Chavignol although you can use whichever you have available. (And don’t hesitate to add some bacon lardons or pancetta if you wish!)
What to serve with it?
This mushroom and goat cheese flammekueche pizza can be served with a light salad vinaigrette or a salad niçoise if you want something a little hardier. You can also serve it with a blended vegetable soup or a tomato soup.
What drinks to serve with it?
This vegetarian mushroom flammkuchen goes well with a Reisling or pinot blanc from Alsace to keep with the local theme. If you don’t like white wine, try a chilled rosé from Provence. You can read more about French wines here.
You can also serve it with cold beer since, given its German heritage, Alsace is the main beer-producing region in France.
How to store it?
You can prepare this mushroom and goat cheese Flammekueche pizza in advance and keep it in the fridge for a few hours or a couple of days.
Let it cool and then place flat in a large pan or plate that you can pop directly into the oven or microwave.
Vegetarian Flammekueche with mushroom and goat cheese
A easy recipe for a traditional vegetarian flammekueche (flammkuchen pizza) with mushroom and goat cheese
- 1 thin pizza crust base
- 1 cup of chopped goat cheese
- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 cup (25cl) of crème fraiche or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1-2 sprigs of fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 410°F (210°C).
- Spread the pizza crust dough in a baking pan and lightly fold the corners to avoid sauce overflow.
- Chop the onion into small cubes or slices.
- Chop the mushroom into small pieces.
- In a small frypan cook the mushrooms and onions for 4 minutes in the olive oil and parsley.
- In a mixing bowl, mix in the crème fraiche with the tablespoon of flour.
- Mix in the salt, pepper, and garlic powder and blend well.
- Spread the crème fraiche mixture onto the pizza base.
- Add the onion, mushroom, and any optional toppings to the top of the pizza base.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes until the dough rises.
- Take the mushroom flammekuech pizza out of the oven carefully and add the goat cheese on top.
- Put the vegetarian flammekuech pizza back in the oven for 10 minutes till the cheese looks melted.
- Serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1169Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 1773mgCarbohydrates: 133gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 41g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic French recipes that are easy to prepare. Bon appétit and à bientôt !