This Recipe includes
|Fresh tomatoes like campari, roma or plum tomatoes. You can also use a large can of whole-peeled tomatoes.
|Chopped bacon lardons or pancetta
Spices, herbs and flavoring ingredients:
|Salt and pepper
Why we love it
Known as Oeufs à la tomates in French, this delicious dish is a herb-infused twist on the classic North African shakshuka. Instead of paprika and red peppers, this eggs in tomato sauce dish uses herbs and bacon lardons for an equally luscious and savory experience.
One of the reasons everyone always loves eggs in tomato sauce is that it is so easy to put together and versatile. It can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner. Pair it with a slice of crusty bread, and you have a satisfying meal suitable for any time of the day.
Moreover, you can customize it to your liking with any types of additional veggies or a sprinkle of chili flakes. And for a cheesy twist, you can even top it off with grated parmesan or crumbled feta cheese.
It is the juices of the savory bacon mingling with the sweet and tart tomato into a delicious saucy base that really brings this dish together. Then crack the eggs into the gently simmering tomato base until they are cooked the way you like them.
With simple ingredients that you are likely to already have in your fridge, it is a cheap and easy meal to put together. And have I mentioned how quickly this one-dish meal cleans up? Definitely a winner!
What to serve with it?
You can serve this delicious eggs in tomato sauce with a side like baguette, country bread, or even toast. You can also serve it with mashed potatoes, plain rice, or even pasta.
What drinks to serve with it?
For drinks, a bottle of chilled rosé wine is the perfect summer feast with this eggs in tomato sauce dish. Keeping with local tradition, you can pick a Bouches-du-Rhone rosé or Aix-en-Provence rosé.
If you don’t like rosés, a chilled white from the region also works quite well. You can read more about French wines here.
How to store it?
Eggs in tomato sauce can easily be kept overnight in the fridge and then heated up.
Let it cool, and then place in an airtight glass container in the fridge, so that it keeps its sauciness. I wouldn’t recommend freezing it however.
Eggs in tomato sauce (Oeufs à la tomates)
- 4-8 red tomatoes depending on size
- 4-5 medium-sized eggs
- 1 cup of chopped bacon lardons
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Cut the tomatoes in half and chop the bacon into small pieces.
- Place the tomato halves and bacon face down on a lightly oiled pan and let them cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, herbs, salt and pepper and cook an additional minute.
- With a large spatula, break down tomatoes and mix everything around a bit for another minute or two.
- Make small holes among the tomatoes and bacon, and crack open the eggs on top.
- Cover the pan and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until the eggs are done to your liking.
- Serve while warm.
Please note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual.
You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic French recipes that are easy to prepare. Bon appétit and à bientôt !