This Recipe includes
|Gruyère cheese or parmesan|
Spices, herbs and flavoring ingredients:
|Salt and pepper|
Why we love it
Flan de courgettes, otherwise known as zucchini flan, is one of those easy recipes that is a classic in French homes. Loaded with delicious zucchini, it is a delicious way to get your veggies in and not spend hours cooking. It is also gluten-free, if you are looking to avoid gluten.
A freshly baked zucchini flan is a very easy to make savory side dish, that can also serve as a main. One of the best things about this flan is that it can be served in small portions and everyone gets their own personal slice, or in large quantities so as everyone can help themselves to as much as they wish.
It’s usually served as an appetizer, but it can also be a main dish if you cut it into small pieces. In a baking mold, it is also easy to serve at dinner parties where guests can enjoy individual portions.
The biggest draw to this recipe is its ease of preparation. It takes less than 20 minutes to whip up and requires fewer than 10 ingredients. So let’s get to it, shall we? Allons-y!
Zucchini is usually a summer vegetable, usually best when harvested from July to October. French cooking usually emphasizes using fresh vegetables, so that is what I would encourage, but you can also use frozen pre-chopped zucchini and just cook it longer on the saucepan until the excess water is reduced.
If you are looking for it at your local market, you should know that not all summer squashes are zucchinis. However, all zucchinis are considered summer squashes. (Zucchini is an Italian name that refers to summer squash, while in France it is called a courgette and is green in color.)
The zucchini or courgettes are vegetables containing fewer calories, and rich in water, making it a lighter ingredient than others. If you want to add a bit of heft to your dish, you can try to match it with other ingredients like shredded carrots or lardons, as mentioned below.
Whether you are the health conscious or not, you will not be able to resist the temptation of this delicious flan.
What to serve with it?
What drinks to serve with it?
How to store it?
Zucchini has a lot of water in it so I don’t recommend freezing it. If you wish to prepare it in advance, I recommend preparing the mixture and placing it in the fridge for a day or so before baking.
- Roasted eggplant cubes with garlic and parsley
- Bohemian aubergines (eggplant)
- Stuffed zucchini boats with cheese
- Cheesy cauliflower gratin
French Zucchini Flan Recipe
- 4 medium-sized zucchinis (courgettes)
- 6 eggs
- 15 cl of milk semi-skimmed
- 100 g of shredded gruyère cheese or parmesan
- handful of chopped basil leaves around 20 leaves
- pinch of salt and pepper
- pinch of paprika (optional)
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Wash and cut the zucchini (courgettes) into small cubes.
- Add some oil to a saucepan and lightly look the zucchini on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Bat the eggs in a large bowl, and add some salt and pepper.
- Add the milk, basil leaves, cheese, and (optional) paprika into the bowl and stir.
- Add the cooked zucchini into the bowl and stir.
- Oil the baking dish lightly.
- Add the mixture to the baking dish and place in a preheated oven for 30 à 35 minutes à 180°C (350°F).
- Test that it is cooked with a knife.
- Once cooked, take out of oven and serve while warm.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic French recipes that are easy to prepare. Bon appétit and à bientôt !