This Recipe includes
|Grated cheese such as gruyère, emmental, or cheddar.|
|Smoked ham or jambon cru|
Spices, herbs and flavoring ingredients:
|Pinch of garlic powder or flakes|
|Salt and pepper|
Why we love it
The classic scrambled eggs is a recipe that goes back centuries. Known as oeufs brouillés in French, it was first mentioned by chef François Pierre de La Varenne in 1664 in one of his cookbooks.
And since then his technique of cooking and serving eggs has undergone many delicious permutations. If you are looking for an easy way to make a heartier version of oeufs brouillés, this cheesy potato scrambled eggs may be just the ticket.
Now the mistake that people make when preparing this dish is not making sure that the potatoes are properly cooked.
You can prepare them night before and leave the in the fridge, or boil them quickly beforehand. You can also cook them directly in the skillet on the stove top or even in the Instant Pot.
Then just add the cheese and egg mixture into the mix and cook lightly for perfectly cooked potato scrambled eggs.
What to serve with it?
If you are having this cheesy potato scrambled for breakfast, it can be as simple as serving it with a glass of orange juice or yogurt for a quick and healthy breakfast.
You can also serve it with a side salad or roasted meat for lunch or dinner if you wish.
Can you prepare it in advance?
Yes, these cheesy potato scrambled eggs can easily be made at least a few hours in advance. Let it cool, and then place in an airtight glass container so that it doesn’t dry out.
When ready to eat bake at 350ºF (175°C) for about 15 minutes until warm or you can also use a microwave.
- Lyonnaise potatoes
- Gratin Dauphinois
- Boursin hasselback potatoes
- Mushroom and Potato Gratin
- Eggs in tomato sauce (Oeufs à la tomates)
- 4-5 medium sized potatoes
- 1 cup of grated cheese (gruyere, parmesan, cheddar, emmental, etc.)
- 1 cup of chopped ham
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 5 eggs
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- handful of minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Wash the potatoes and peel them if you wish.
- Boil the potatoes in water over the stove for around 10 minutes and drain the water.
- Let the potatoes cool a bit, and chop them into small quarters.
- Crush the garlic and chop any optional ingredients.
- In a large skillet or wok, sauté the garlic in oil for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes to skillet, along with the butter.
- Add the chopped ham, parsley, salt, pepper into the wok and cook the potatoes for 10-15 minutes till they turn golden brown.
- In a small bowl, crack open the raw eggs and mix in with the cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir the potatoes around and add in the egg and cheese mixture to cover the potatoes. Cook at low heat for around 5-7 minutes until the eggs look as cooked as you like.
- Serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 553Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 287mgSodium: 730mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 26g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other Potato recipes
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic French recipes that are easy to prepare. Bon appétit and à bientôt !