This Recipe includes
|Potatoes (russet potatoes if possible)|
|Salt and pepper|
Why we love it
Hasselback potatoes is one of those simple yet elegant potato side dishes that looks like it is quite difficult to make. The thin half-slices and crispy exterior are a visual delight that tastes just as good.
And when you add some French boursin cheese on it, it takes the dish to a whole another level. Boursin cheese is a creamy, herby, and flavorful spread was created in 1957 by François Boursin, a cheese maker from Normandy.
This soft cheese is made from a blend of fromage frais (fresh soft cheese) and herbs for a flavor harkening back to the French countryside. The cheese was an instant hit and soon became a staple in households and restaurants throughout France and beyond.
Together, boursin hasselback potatoes forms a versatile and easy-to-make side dish that will impress anyone.
How to cut hasselback potatoes
Now there are several techniques to cutting the hasselback potatoes. You want to cut the potatoes thinly without cutting all the way to the end.
One easy way to cut them is to place two pencils on either side of the potatoes and then chop with a sharp knife so that it cuts almost to the end, but not quite.
A simpler way I find however is to just hold them firmly in the palm of my hand and cut them while holding. Be careful not to cut yourself, however!
What to serve with it?
These Boursin hasselback potatoes make an excellent side dish with a piece of meat like roasted veal, lamb roast, or a sizzled pork chop.
You can also serve with a side of vegetables like steamed green beans or bohemian aubergines.
What drinks to serve with it?
Red wines from Beaujolais make an excellent pairing with boursin hasselback potatoes, in keeping with the local theme.
If you prefer white, try a white wine from the nearby Loire Valley. You can read more about French wines here.
Can you prepare it in advance?
These boursin hasselback potatoes keeps quite well in the fridge.
Let it cool, and then place in an airtight glass container in the fridge, so that the potatoes don’t dry out.
Boursin hasselback potatoes
An easy recipe to make delicious hasselback potatoes with boursin cheese, butter and parsley in the oven quickly.
- 6-9 russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup of boursin cheese
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Wash the potatoes and make sure all the dirt is off. (Leave the skin on.)
- Place each potato between two wooden spoons and carefully make cuts every 1/8-inch without cutting all the way through the potato using a sharp knife.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place the butter in a microwavable bowl and melt it in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Place the potatoes in large baking tray and drizzle the butter on top of the slices.
- Place the baking tray and the potatoes in the oven for around 30 minutes.
- Take the potatoes carefully out of the oven and using a spoon, scoop some of the boursin cheese on top of each potato
- Place the hasselback potatoes back in the oven for another 30 minutes or until the potatoes are golden and crispy.
- Add some parsley on top for decoration and serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 491Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 84gFiber: 9gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other Potato recipes
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic French recipes that are easy to prepare. Bon appétit and à bientôt !