We like to have a bit of fun once in a while, so I thought I would put together a few tips on how you too can show off a bit of that Parisian “Je ne sais quoi”. With tongue firmly in cheek, here we go:
- 1 Striped shirt
- 1 baguette
- 1 bottle of wine
- One Parisian sneer
- Wear matching underwear.
- Claim to not own a single sweatpant or set of tights.
- Dress up fully before you go outside to throw out the garbage.
- Wear a black bra under a white t-shirt.
- Buy your spouse a mauve slim-cut pant.
- Laugh at tourists walking around with a beret.
- Know how to say "putain" to express sadness, anger, joy, disgust, surprise, and confusion.
- Know how to pull off the multiple "la's" in Ohh la la la la la la!
- Do not respond to messages from friends who ask you if you are available for drinks.
- Plan drinks with friends 3 months ahead of schedule.
- Do the "bises" to everybody (man or woman).
- Never talk about money.
- Regularly complain about the government in power.
- Spend 4 hours over dinner complaining about the government in power.
Food and Drink
- Two sips of coffee in a tiny cup is fine, you do not need a Starbucks size mug.
- Line up for 20 minutes up to buy a €1.50 baguette.
- Buy a €30 wine from Nicolas (a fine wine store) when a €3 wine from the supermarket would have been fine.
- Have a piece of baguette, ham, and cigarette for dinner.
- Eat only soup in the winter, but declare that you don't diet.
- Don't be afraid to tell anyone if they have lost weight or put on a few kilos.
- Carry a reusable tote bag everywhere.
- Ride a bicycle regularly without a helmet.
- Be confident enough to ignore the rules of the road when riding that bike.
- Know where to place your Pass Navigo in your purse/wallet so that you can scan through the metro without taking it out.
- Buy flowers regularly.
- Know that the correct way to carry your flowers in the metro is upside-down.
- Visit the doctor because your legs feel "heavy".
- Do not put curtains or blinds on your windows so that everyone can see your "je ne sais quoi".
- Live in a building with no elevator. It is good for the butt anyway.
- Scoff at people who move outside of Paris.
- Move outside of Paris when you expecting your first baby.
If you feel yourself losing your "Je ne sais quoi", book a flight to Paris immediately to re-immerse yourself in more Frenchness.
So how Parisian are you? Do you have that “je ne sais quoi yet”? Comment below and let me know! A bientôt!
☞ RELATED POST: Living in Paris: the Good, the Bad & the Ugly
- 8 Differences between Houses in France and the U.S.January 13, 2020/
- Au Clair de la Lune: The Risqué French Nursery RhymeJanuary 13, 2020/
Follow along and join the conversation at: