This Recipe includes
|Penne (or any other short-cut pasta)|
|Grated cheese such as gruyère, emmental, or cheddar.|
|Bacon, lardons, or pancetta|
Spices, herbs and flavoring ingredients:
|Parsley (for decoration)|
|Garlic powder or flakes|
|Salt and pepper|
Why we love it
When in the mood for an easy meal that’s sure to satisfy, mushroom pasta gratin is the perfect dish to make. Inspired by the cheesy gratin dauphinois, this mushroom and pasta gratin is simple, easy to prepare, and it never fails to please.
Mushroom is one of the most popular and versatile culinary ingredients. You can use any types of mushrooms, white, brown, button, shiitake or cremini, portobello or even a mix of all of the above. It really depends on your personal preference.
The key is to cook the mushrooms in advance with the bacon or pancetta so that the juices of the two mix together to create a tangy base for the pasta.
Then add some sharp parmesan cheese to bring the dish to a whole another level. Whether you want to serve it by itself or as a side dish with friends and family, this is a French pasta dish that won’t fail to please!
What to serve with it?
What drinks to serve with it?
How to store it?
If you do want to prepare this mushroom and pasta gratin in advance, let it cool completely and place it in an airtight glass container.
However, it is not a dish that freezes very well because the pasta and cheese can get soggy, so I don’t recommend it.
- Scallops and spinach pasta, with mushrooms
- Savory pork and spinach pasta
- Spinach and sun-dried tomato pasta
- Tuna penne gratin in creamy sauce
- French carbonara pasta
Cheesy Mushroom and Pasta Gratin
- 400 g of penne pasta (0.9lb)
- 2 cups of fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of bacon lardons or pancetta
Herbs and spices
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- In a large pot on the stove, cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Put aside 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Wipe the mushrooms with a cloth to remove any dirt, and chop into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, place the chopped mushrooms and cover with the herbs and spices.
- In a large saucepan, lightly cook the mushrooms bacon lardons in the olive oil for about 5 minutes until the lardons look cooked
- Add the pasta water into the saucepan to combine with the mushroom and pancetta juices to make a sauce.
- Once the pasta has finished cooking, drain the pasta and place it in a large casserole dish.
- Layer the mushrooms and bacon along with the sauce between the cooked pasta.
- Preheat the oven at 375°F (190°C).
- Top the casserole with the parmesan cheese and mix it into the pasta bake.
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese on top looks cooked and golden brown.
- Serve while warm.
Other gratin recipes
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic French recipes that are easy to prepare. Bon appétit and à bientôt !