This Recipe includes
|Toasted bread or baguette|
|Smoked ham (jambon cru)|
Spices, herbs and flavoring ingredients:
|Pinch of dried parsley leaves|
|(Optional) balsamic vinegar|
|Pinch of garlic powder or flakes|
|Salt and pepper|
Why we love it
If you are looking for a delicious, quick, and most important healthy recipe, then tomato bruschetta is the perfect snack to munch on. It is most commonly associated with the Mediterranean region and as a result, especially during the hot summer months.
Toppings for bruschetta usually range from cheese to a wide variety of vegetables. My favorite however is a light provençale-style bruschetta, with fresh tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and jambon cru (smoked ham).
Using fresh tomatoes
You can use any type of fresh tomatoes you like, although you may like to mix up a couple of different types in order to add an extra oomph to the taste. Some tomatoes that you can use are:
- Tomatoes on the vine – juicy and slightly sweet tomatoes that are left on the vine until they are fully ripened
- Cherry tomatoes – small, round, and crisp tomatoes
- Roma tomatoes – Italian plum tomatoes which are full of flavor with a tangy taste.
Look for ripe tomatoes at your local grocery store or farmers’ market, and mix and match as you like.
Types of Bread
You can use toasted bread that is already prepared, or you can make your own. A baguette is always an easy winner, but you can also try a Pain de campagne meaning “country bread” that is baked in large loaves to feed the full family.
Whatever type of bread you decide to get, just slice into small pieces and toast in the oven for 5 minutes before putting on your topping.
What to serve with it?
What drinks to serve with it?
Tomato and ham bruschetta (Recipe)
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- juice from a 1/4 lemon
- 2-3 leaves of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Optional 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 6-8 Toasted bread or baguette slices
- Using a fork and a sharp knife, cut the tomatoes into small chunks and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the onion and parsley and add to the chopped tomato mixture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the ham) and mix in.
- Place in the fridge for around 10 minutes.
- Lay out the toasted bread on a baking sheet.
- Start preheating the oven at at 375°F (190°C).
- Gently scoop out the tomato mixture onto each piece of bread.
- Top off each piece of bread with a small piece of ham.
- (Optional) Place the baking sheet in a preheated oven for 5 minutes at 375°F (190°C).
- Serve while warm or room temperature.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic French recipes that are easy to prepare. Bon appétit and à bientôt!