This Recipe includes
|Raspberry, cherry, or blueberry syrup|
|Red current or blackberry juice|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
Why we love it
When the cold weather hits, everybody loves a warm and toasty cup of mulled wine. The problem with mulled wine though, sometimes is the wine.
If you don’t drink alcohol or know someone who doesn’t, never fear, you can still enjoy a vin chaud (hot wine) without the wine.
Christmas parties are peak season for mulled wines, but if you have children, pregnant women, or just people who don’t drink, you are going to need a version without alcohol. (Note, there is no French version of eggnog.)
The non-alcoholic mulled wine includes grape juice, as you can imagine, but much more than that. With a variety of spices and other juices to add that extra tang, you definitely won’t be missing out on that French winter vin chaud experience.
How to serve non-alcoholic mulled wine?
Typically in France, mulled wine is served in a see-through mug, usually with a handle to hold, like this set here. Add a stick of cinnamon or a slice of orange for decoration.
But you can always serve it in a wine glass as well.
What to serve with it?
Non-Alcoholic Mulled Wine (Vin Chaud) Recipe
- 50 cl grape juice
- 20 cl of raspberry cherry, or blueberry syrup
- 6 cl of red current or blackberry juice
- 1 orange
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks plus any additional cinnamon sticks for decoration
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 cloves
- pinch of nutmeg
- Wash the orange and cut it into slices.
- Pour all the juices into a saucepan and dissolve the sugar into it at low heat.
- Add the orange slices and the spices.
- Keep the mixture on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not allow the mixture to froth or boil.
- Turn off the heat and let the wine infuse and rest for 5 minutes.
- Strain the juice through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan or pitcher. (You can throw out the spices.)
- Serve while warm.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic French recipes that are easy to prepare. Bon appétit and à bientôt !