Tinkling laughter, a few stumbles down ancient cobblestone streets hand in hand with your French lover, is there any place more romantic than Paris in the spring? (Well Paris in winter is equally lovely and the lover doesn’t have to be French, but I digress.)
With français being the language of love, and Paris as a backdrop, can you blame these writers for getting swept away by a current of amour? Add a bit of whimsy and a lot of romance, and you too will want to start quoting a few lines dedicated to the joys of falling in love.
Without further ado, here are in my opinion, some of the best romantic sayings about love in French.
Table of Contents
Top French Quotes about Love and Romance
1. To love is not to look at each other, it is to look together in the same direction.
Aimer, ce n’est pas se regarder l’un l’autre, c’est regarder ensemble dans la même direction.Antoine De Saint-Exupéry
By the author of the French literary classic Petit Prince, Antoine De Saint-Exupéry wrote this wonderful quote about growing together.
2. The only beautiful eyes are those who look at you with tenderness.
Les seuls beaux yeux sont ceux qui vous regardent avec tendresse.Coco Chanel
The legendary Coco Chanel had a dramatic love life herself, so she knew what she was talking about when she said these words.
3. Love is giving up intelligence to live by your senses.
L’amour, c’est renoncer à l’intelligence pour vivre de ses sens.Josiane Coeijmans
Ignoring the foolishness of love and embracing the moment, by Belgian writer Josiane Coeijmans.
4. We love only what we do not have entirely.
On n’aime que ce qu’on ne possède pas tout entier.– Proust
Do we always want what we don’t quite have? In English, we have “absence makes the heart grow fonder”, though that is not quite the same. A toast to unrequited love!
5. We can live on love and fresh water.
On ne peut vivre d’amour et d’eau fraîche.
One of my particular favorites for all those newly in love, and a tiny bit obsessed with each other: who needs food, all we need is love and water!
Et c’est parfois dans un regard, dans un sourire que sont cachés les mots qu’on n’a jamais su dire.
That look across the room, the knowing smile, the secret wink… Ok, I’ll stop now, carry on.
7. The secret to happiness in love is not to be blind but to know how to close your eyes when necessary.
Le secret du bonheur en amour, ce n’est pas d’être aveugle mais de savoir fermer les yeux quand il le faut.
Love is blind, as we say in English, but this one goes a little deeper. To stay in love, you must be a little blind to all the foibles of the one you love. Truth.
8. Love is like war, easy to start, difficult to finish … and impossible to forget.
L’amour c’est comme la guerre, facile à démarrer, difficile à finir… et impossible à oublier.
Remember your first true “love”? Or what you thought was love anyway.
9. The most difficult roads lead to the most beautiful destinations.
Les routes les plus difficiles mènent aux plus belles destinations.
The French version of “happily ever after”.
10. Distance means so little when someone means a lot.
Distance signifie si peu quand quelqu’un signifie beaucoup.
For those making it work in a long-distance relationship. I’ve seen both sides, couples making it work, and couples letting go. It is never easy, is it?
11. Imperfect happiness is better than impossible love.
Un bonheur imparfait vaut mieux qu’un amour impossible.
People are imperfect, and so must be their love. To accept and embrace, surely that is happiness?
12. In love we forgive, but we never forget.
En amour on pardonne, mais on n’oublie jamais.
For all those who have broken our hearts, adieu.
- 8 Differences between Houses in France and the U.S.January 13, 2020/
- Au Clair de la Lune: The Risqué French Nursery RhymeJanuary 13, 2020/
Follow along and join the conversation at: