Now if you want to have a French-style picnic, i.e. the classic Parisian picnic apéro (whether or not you are by the Seine River), you are going to have to need a few ingredients.
Not to worry, they are all easily available at your local grocery store. We have however foregone with the wicker picnic basket because no cool Parisian walks around with those anyway!
- 2 or 3 kinds of cheese (Sainte-Maure,Camembert, Brie, Roquefort)
- a small box of cherry tomatoes
- Charcuterie (traditionally cured hams like Ham from Bayonne, de Parme (prosciutto in italien), d’Auvergne, Serrano)
- Saussisons (salt-cured sausages like Rosette, chorizo, saucisson de Lyon, saucisson d’Arles)
- bottle of wine (preferably a chilled rosé or white wine, but if you like red, go for it!)
Other Possible Ingredients
- Baby Carrots
- Fruit juices
- Bottle opener
- Small knife
- Paper cups
- Paper plates
- Paper napkins
- Small mat to sit on (optional)
- Pick the perfect picnic location in Paris.
Pro tip: if you are planning a romantic picnic for two, add Neufchâtel cheese to your picnic basket. The cheese comes in the shape of a heart.
Note: French people don’t really eat raw celery the way we do in North America. Plus it requires a knife to cut into manageable pieces so I have left that off the list.
So there you have it, everything you need for the perfect Parisian picnic! If you are in Paris and are not sure the ideal location for that picnic, check out this list of top picnic sites that the locals always stick to.
Did you enjoy that article? Save it for later!